Monday, February 15, 2016

Weeks 50 and 51


Baptism Pictures! (Jose Angel had an accident last Sunday and was operated on Saturday, It's nothing serious, just adjusting some screws that got out of place inside him, a year ago when a horse fell on him and he broke a ton of bones and had plates and screws put in...He's suffered a lot and I have learned so much from his will power! I hope he'll be able to make it to church this week because he still needs to be confirmed)

¡Feliz Dia de Amor y Amistad a todos! Happy Valentines Day everyone!. Yes, we celebrate it here, but it's called Love and Friendship Day more commonly. Although, they sometimes call it Dia de San Valentino (Saint Valentines Day:P).

It's been quite the crazy week, to be honest, and I learned a lot of lessons. The biggest one I want to share I learned yesterday. We had worked super hard all week and had everything lined up for Sunday, but one by one everything fell apart. Of the 16 investigators sure to make it to church, only ONE made it and she wasn't even planned. The worst part was the members of the Ramirez Family, who were supposed to have their baptism interview, but also didn't show up. I was honestly a little frustrated. Why didn't Heavenly Father bring us the fruits of our labors? Why do all the doors that we've worked so hard to open seem to be closing?

Later on, in Priesthood Quorum, we had a lesson on adversity (no small coincidence for me). President Hunter taught me a very valuable lesson. In the manual "Teaching of the Presidents of the Church: Howard W Hunter", it says,

“Being human, we would expel from our lives physical pain and mental anguish and assure ourselves of continual ease and comfort, but if we were to close the doors upon sorrow and distress, we might be excluding our greatest friends and benefactors. Suffering can make saints of people as they learn patience, long-suffering, and self-mastery” [Faith Precedes the Miracle (1972), 98].

In that statement, President Kimball refers to closing doors upon certain experiences in life. … Doors close regularly in our lives, and some of those closings cause genuine pain and heartache. But I do believe that where one such door closes, another opens (and perhaps more than one), with hope and blessings in other areas of our lives that we might not have discovered otherwise.

I knew that this was God answering my prayers and reassuring my doubts and I am so grateful to know that he truly knows and loves me:D

Also, this week in my studies I starting reading about Joseph Smith since I came across the book of his life/teachings. I absolutely LOVE learning about the prophet Joseph Smith! I'd just like to share quickly some quotes about him I loved from "Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith":

Orson Spencer, a Baptist minister who joined the Church in 1841: “In doctrine, Mr. Smith is eminently scriptural. I have never known him to deny or depreciate a single truth of the Old and New Testaments, but I have always known him to explain and defend them in a masterly manner."

This helped strengthen my testimony that Joseph Smith really was called of God because I tend to think of him as a prophet who taught from pure revelations and the Book of Mormon, but these words about how he taught assure me that he knew and loved ALL the words of the prophets from the beginning.

Mary Ann Stearns Winters, a stepdaughter of Elder Parley P. Pratt: “The Holy Spirit lighted up his countenance till it glowed like a halo around him, and his words penetrated the hearts of all who heard him."

Oh, how amazing it must have been to witness such a man radiate with the power of God. I know that he was called of God to restore the Church and I hope to be able to get to know him more and learn from his teachings :)

Anyways it started getting hot again already, but it's still a little cool outside at night for now so that's good! My stomach is continuing to improve and I'm now able to eat just about normally, thanks again for all your prayers and support! Love you all!!



Even though I couldn't watch the Superbowl, I guess I was in the football mood because I bought a football and a donut shaped like a football:D



I like getting creative with my food a little (yes that's salsa on an apple):P

No comments:

Post a Comment